"Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go"
T. S. Eliot

Saturday, January 28, 2012

Amana Freezer 5K

Race started at 10 AM (10:10 AM) and pickup package at 9 AM. Checked temp 22F, cold!
Set my Garmin to 5K and a 7:30 pace. Race started ten minutes after. I looked at my Garmin after a few minutes and I read some 80 ft!  Was I 80 ft ahead of my virtual partner, or had I ran just 80 ft? That number kept increasing, and I had strange doubts.  I was just happy to see I was ahead of my virtual partner and I was probably running too fast. So, I knew I could slow down a little bit (to do a negative split). Well, as expected, around Mile 2, there was a hill.  I knew I was doing OK with my pace. Going down the hill was slippery, but I took advantage of gravity. In the last mile, there was wind going against the runners. Turned left and a guy wanted to beat me.  We both ran as fast as we could to the finish line.
They posted results right after the race, and I found my name. I could not believe the pace: 6:55 min/mile!  fourth place in my age group.  There are definitely some fast runners in that race. I was able to chat with the top runners.  It's nice to see they are normal guys down to earth. It was a fun race!
Three top runners in each age group were awarded precious medals. I wished I could have gotten one.  I believe I will have a chance if I keep training hard and smart.

No comments:

Post a Comment