"Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go"
T. S. Eliot

Sunday, October 20, 2013

Run for the Schools Half Marathon

Assen and Sophia decided to run the 5K. We drove two different cars. I never saw my kids at the start line. I stood next to Gene W and behind Craig B. Somebody sang the national anthem, but his mic was not working, so most people didn't even noticed they were singing it. The race started and I tried to run my own race. Then, I ran into Nathalie M. She told me she could run with me for a few miles, and she did.  We were going about 7:30 pace or faster. I didn't mind if she wanted to run faster, and I let her go about Mile four or five.
I saw this fast female runner ahead of me and thought about chasing her.  It was not until mile 7 or 8 that I was able to pass her. She told me 'good job' and never saw her again. She looked very strong. Later, I learned her name was Julie Johnston. I found her name in Athlinks and read her very inspiring story. She's run 13 marathons today. No wonder why she is such a good runner! She is the pacer at Quad-Cities!
I kept a pretty good pace most of the race. I was happy to see Dan Beck at mile 12. He ran more than half a mile with me and pushed my limits!  Thanks Dan! This hill at college avenue was tougher than ever. Then, I just let gravity help me get to the finish line. My Garmin registered 1 hr 38 min.

No comments:

Post a Comment