"Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go"
T. S. Eliot

Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Presidential Mile

Downtown Iowa City has organized a series of three races, 3K, 1 Mile, and a 2K. Last Sunday, I ran the 1 mile race for the first time. I thought I could finish it in at least 6 and a half minutes. I knew Craig B was a faster runner my age, so I placed just behind him. The horn sounded and this guy just took off like a bullet. No way I could stay next to him, so I just tried to run my own race. Knew the route, since I had ran the 3K three weeks ago, and the route was very similar. After making the first right turn, I knew it was almost half the race, so I decided to give it all. I was able to pass one or two guys and finished in six minutes six seconds, a PR! LINK to Results.
Kids younger than twelve ran the race before the men. This young nine year old, Bryson Canton finished in six minutes six seconds! I guess I have competition with the guys my age, and also with the twelve year olds. Next race will be the Run for the Schools Half Marathon in two weeks. Ihope to be totally recovered from the marathon. 
Karen is running a 5K this coming Sunday. It's called 'Especially for You.' The race starts at 8:00 AM.

No comments:

Post a Comment