"Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go"
T. S. Eliot

Sunday, December 2, 2012

Boston Marathon

The Boston marathon is the oldest annual marathon organized in the US. The first Boston marathon took place in 1897. It is run on Patriot' Day, the third Monday of April. Runners in the BM need to qualify in order to register. I need to run a marathon in 3 hr 30 min or less in order for me to qualify for BM because I am 50 years old. In order to do that, I will need to run a marathon with a 8:00 min/mile pace.
I ran my first marathon in Saint Louis in April this year and finished it in 3 hr 51 min. It looks like a long stretch to try to finish in 21 min less, but I believe I can do it with proper training. I will need to  avoid injuries, which probably won't be easy.
I am planning to run the first Marion Marathon in April 21 next year.  It will take me 20 weeks to get ready and I am starting officially the training program this Tuesday. I will be running 3-8 miles six days a week and doing a long distance run on Sundays, 10 to 26 miles.
Why am I doing it?  Because I want to be remembered as an athetic person. Runners are special people. Marathon runners are more special, and Boston Qualifiers (BQ) are an elite group. I hope to be an example for my son and daughter. I'd be proud to know if I am remembered by them saying I ran a Boston marathon when I was 50 years old.

No comments:

Post a Comment