"Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go"
T. S. Eliot

Thursday, November 22, 2012

Legend of the Fall

Happy Thanksgiving Day! Headed to Regina High School to register for The Legend of the Fall early in the morning. This trail race is organized to honor late Coach Bob Brown who died of pancreatic cancer. The race starts at Regina track and goes through Hickory Hill park. I talked to Ross K and Kellie T before the race. Kellie had both of her legs full of scratches because of running the course yesterday. That looked scary to me. Weather was perfect for running.
I stood next to Kellie and Robin on the track at the beginning of the race trying to figure out a strategy. Race started at 8:00 AM. Took the left side of the track to pass a few slower runners. The trail went downhill and then flat. I was breathing very heavily. Saw some good runners in front of me and knew I was going too fast, so I tried to run more conservative. There were several hills --going up was extremely challenging and going down was a bit scary, since speed can get really fast. I got so tired at mile 2.64 that I had to walk up a hill. I was amazed by this 9-yr old kid running by me (Bryson Canton). Although most of the race I was ahead of him, he passed me and I wasn't able to catch him up at the end.
I also saw Kellie T when the long and the short courses met. But although I tried to catch up to her, she finished too fast for me. Finished in less than 30 min --more like 29:16.  I was happy with my chronos (7:19 MM pace). This was probably the last race of the year.

No comments:

Post a Comment