"Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go"
T. S. Eliot

Sunday, April 15, 2012

Go! St Louis Marathon

Arrived to the marathon (Go! St Louis Marathon) just in time (I shouldn't let this happen again).  I was not able to get into my corral.  But, it was not a big problem.  I found my pacer (3:45) and then I passed him (bad idea?).  Then, he caught up with me.  Followed him for several miles.  Then, I realized this pace was way above my capabilities, so I had to slow down.  Focused on keeping a good pace and finishing.  The last three miles seemed endless (my pace went down to about 10 min/mile).  It was a very tough course.  Long hills. The last mile, I was in total pain.  I started feeling cramps in my calves.  I slowed down just enough to avoid the cramps --pain!.  Finished!  3 hrs 50 min 54 sec (chip time). I was happy with my chronos.  I totaly agree when people say the real race starts at mile 20. Those last 6 miles were very tough.
There were 1600 marathoners. I came in 270th place (19th in my age group). The winner was Julius Kosgei and finished in 2:28:38 (pace: 5:40).  Incredible!
There were 8738 half-marathoners.
The race was very well organized.  Lots of water stops and gatorade. Sponges with cold water felt great on my neck. Some miles seemed longer (the ones with no spectators). Ran with a few people with a similar pace. It was fun!
What an amazing experience!  Can't  believe I was able to overcome such pain. Spectators had a lot of funny signs!  It would be nice to make an album with all of those funny signs!
Now, I understand when people say a marathon will change your life.  You will never be the same person again. So much truth! I gained a very deep respect for all marathoners.  They are very special people. I am glad and proud to be one of them!
Visited Jason and Sonya in their house. Met their beautiful blond daughter Catalina. She is six and goes to kindergarten. Had a great supper with them and enjoyed some good wine.

No comments:

Post a Comment