"Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go"
T. S. Eliot

Monday, April 10, 2017

Go! Saint Louis Marathon

Things did not go the way I wanted. Tried to stay with the pace group (3:40), but he was going faster than what was expected (8:23 MPM). I was not planing to go faster than 8:17 MPM.


Miles 2 (7:47), 3 (8:00), 6 (8:07), 8 (7:55) and 10 (8:09) were faster than I had planed. I guess I needed a better pacer for the first 13 miles too. I trusted the group pacer too much. Also, the course was very tough in the first half of the marathon. Running so fast the first half just killed me.

Felt tired when I was joined by Jeff on mile 13. Had terrible cramps on my left calf at mile 18. Had to stop running and started to walk. Tried to run again and cramps appeared again and again. I read some ultrarunners take salt tablets at mile 5, 10, 15, and 20. I might try this on my next marathon.

I need to learn to trust in myself (and my Garmin) and do my own race. Next time, I should try to do it on my own (if the pacer is too fast or too slow).

Anyways, another marathon, another learning experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment