"Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go"
T. S. Eliot

Saturday, January 25, 2014

Air-cast Boot

Went to the sports medicine clinic yesterday and talked to the doc to take care of the stress fracture. My foot is not getting any better. Of course, my foot was not bothering as much when I was visiting the doc. I was wearing a hiking boot and the foot was feeling better. The doc looked at my foot and started pressing on different areas. He found the spot where the pain is.... ouch! painful!
He recommended no exercise (no bicyclicng, no elliptical machine) and wearing an air-cast boot. But, I can swim as much as I want (without the boot, of course). 

I wore the boot all day long on Friday. My foot felt well rested at night when I removed the boot.  I hope it is working. I am supposed to wear the boot for two or three weeks. I wonder if my foot will be strong enough to run again.  I know I will have to start easy and build up endurance. 

2 comments:

  1. I wore an air-cast boot for 4 weeks & then used crutches for an additional 2 weeks with the main purpose of keeping weight off the stress-fractured bone (in my case, my left tibia) for a full 6 weeks...When the 6 weeks were up, I started running again...During the 1st week of recovery, I ran 1 minute & then walked 3 minutes x 8-times...During the 2nd week of recovery, I ran 2 minutes & then walked 2 minutes x 8-times...During the 3rd week of recovery, I ran 3 minutes & then walked 1 minute x 8-times...And then finally, 4 weeks after I got off the air-cast boot & crutches, I was able to run as long as I wanted to...I feel that I have made a full/complete recovery & I'm sure that you will too! (You just have to give it time!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've had a few casts over my lifetime. They've always been hard, itchy, smelly and frankly quite unbearable. Air casts are, in my opinion, a nice alternative to the standard cast. Honestly, I would take any other option than have to wear a hard cast again.
    http://www.streetrdrx.com/medical-equipment.html

    ReplyDelete