"Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go"
T. S. Eliot

Sunday, September 1, 2013

New Bo Fest Half Marathon

The training program called for a 26 mile run. I know endurance is one of my weaknesses, and I know how important these long runs are. But, I cannot run alone.  I tried different running partners, and it was hard to find a person who wanted to run 26 slow miles. My best option was offered by Jen. She planed to run about five miles before the New Bo Fest Half-Marathon, and then maybe a couple more miles after the race. I knew I was going to be dead tired after running a half marathon race. But, I thought, racing plus a few miles BEFORE the race could well substitute 26 slow miles.
I was able to run about six very slow miles before the race started. 
Not sure what pace to run, but went a little bit too fast for the first few miles.  I was following some "pretty" good runners, but I knew it was going to be hard to keep that pace for 13 miles. I ran sub-seven MM pace for the first  five miles. Then, I had to let them go and slow down a bit. Miles 11-13 were 9:00, 9:24 and 9:15 MM. I decided to walk in the water stops and hydrate well. I think that might have helped a little bit. The race was extremely well organized, as they usually are here in Cedar Rapids. 
Now, it's time to taper until September 22nd. Let's see if I can stay with the 8:05 MM pacer for 26 miles. I'll try to run smart and stay behind the pacer this time. I will also try to get as much rest as I can at least two days before the race. 

No comments:

Post a Comment