"Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go"
T. S. Eliot

Tuesday, May 14, 2013

A few words on my running philosophy

Is there any benefit by running very slow? let's say, slower than 11 min/mile?
This pace might be considered pretty slow for a lot of runners. However, running at 11 MM should be alright for recovering runs.
I can speed up to 5:30 to 6:30 MM pace during track days. My 5K pace has been sub 7. My goal marathon pace is 8 MM. So, I believe there is no problem if I run 1 to 1.5 min slower in my Sunday-long-distance runs (9 to 9.5 MM).
I believe 'pace-change' is important. It is important to run at different paces and different terrains during the week and do not let the legs get used to running at the same pace. Low intensity runs are perfectly OK.  The body needs some rest and just get used to moving the leg muscles.  But, it also needs to learn that there will be times when speed is important.
Wednesdays are interval training days. There is a warm-up run first for about a mile and then some dynamic warm-up. Intervals of 800 m are my favorites with a two minute rest in between.
Sundays are the days when we like to do our long runs. These are normally something between 10 and 20 miles. Pace is not important here.

No comments:

Post a Comment