"Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go"
T. S. Eliot

Sunday, September 23, 2012

Quad Cities Half Marathon

Had a few dreams in my sleep. Got up at 4:30 AM and got ready for the race. Drove to Gene's house and he drove jhis new Toyota to Davenport. We missed the exit I-74 at Davenport but arrived just fine. It was a cold morning, but I decided to wear shorts for the race.
I found my pacer, Mary 1:40. Started running next to her for the first few miles. Then, going downhill, I separated from the pacer and joined a different pacer, a marathon pacer for the 3:15!  Ran with this guy for a few more miles until marathon runners separated from half-marathoners. There were many pretty girls a few meters from me. That made the run a lot more fun. There was a gorgeous tall girl running at a very good pace. I didn't see her again after the marathoners splitted in mile eight, but I am sure she ran only half. I saw her at the finish line, she came to me and congratulated me for the good run. It looks like she was not wearing a bib number!
I thought I slowed my pace a little bit. Miles seemed longer and longer. I felt cramps coming on my calves, so I did not push it harder. Finished ahead of my pacer: 1 hr 38 min 22 sec. I have been wondering why the pain on my calves.  They say I probably did not hydrate properly. I think I will carry two bottles of gator in my next long distance race.
Race was extremely well organized. Had plenty of food. I ate a very nice bbq pork-sandwich! I even got a free massage by a chiropractor. Dan finished the marathon in 3 hr 33 min! Ross finished it in 2 hr 51 min!  Amazing!

No comments:

Post a Comment