"Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go"
T. S. Eliot

Friday, June 26, 2020

Our First Trip to Alabama

Forty two years ago, on a day like this, June 26 (1978). A group of students from Mexico traveled to the US to live with American families for a few weeks as part of the Experiment in International Living. These "experiments" are life-changing experiences. Not only for the students, but also for the family hosts. Young teenage students experience what is like to live in a different culture and speak a language different than their mother tongue.
I traveled with a small group of Mexican boys and girls. We flew from MEX airport to HOU airport. Then, traveled by Greyhound bus to New Orleans. We enjoyed the opportunity to hear some New Orleans jazz and see what Bourbon Street looks like. My American family was the Al and Pauline Pugh. My siblings were Rusty, Rachel, and Robby. They had a ranch-style house and a beautiful swimming pool in their large backyard. Grand Bay, Alabama was very hot that part of the year. Swimming everyday was great. We all enjoyed having swimming parties.
We visited places like Dolphin Island, Pensacola, FL, and one day we even visited Mayor Lambert C. Mims of Mobile, AL and we became honorary citizens! I made some very strong friendships with my neighbors and also with families of other Mexican kids.



My family and I kept in touch for several years. I went back to visit them and they also came to Mexico. It was a lot of fun and a great unforgettable learning experience. I practiced my writing letters everyday with several friends from Alabama. I never imagined this experience would shape my life the way it did.

No comments:

Post a Comment